Thursday, December 18, 2008

B-Man's Teriyaki & Burgers Pasadena

B-Man's Teriyaki & Burgers
(626) 568-0386
3007 Huntington Dr

Pasadena, CA 91107

Arriving at this restaurant on the Northeast corner of Huntington and San Gabriel you'd think you were actually in ritzy San Marino but you're not. Though you can see the Welcome to San Marino sign accross the intersection, you're not there. You're in East Pasadena. The edge.

B-Man's became familiar to me after working next door to the establishment for a couple of years. It is always busy. The owner is almost always there, cooking and expediting orders. And for such a typical-looking fast food joint its menu offers more variety than you might expect.
B-Man's is known for its teriyaki and burgers but they also have curry fries, spam musubi and tofu skewers to name a few unexpected selections.

My last visit was in November 2008. My daughter and I shared chili fries with cheese (costs extra) and a combo bowl of teriyaki beef and chicken with avocado on top (also costs extra but definitely worth it). The chili is made with big chunks of chicken, a welcome healthy alternative to your normal beef chili. It has some kind of sweetness to it, like it's laced with their teriyaki sauce. I asked the manager if that's what's in it but he said it wasn't. Whatever it is, it is delicious. Their fries are thick,top-notch and go best with just some salt. I would say ordering them with chili and cheese is just going overboard but sometimes ya gotta splurge, right?

The combo bowl is huge. The teriyaki sauce has the perfect flavor and thick consistency I look for in fast food teriyaki. The chicken and beef are good quality, meaning, they leave out the gristle. They really pile it on, too. I get mine with avocado on top. To me the creaminess of the avocado dovetails perfectly with the other flavors in the bowl and I aim to get "the perfect bite" with each fork-full.

I did something different this time. I ordered the bowl with brown rice. I had never noticed it on the menu before that day and I can't tell you how happy it made me! I no longer have to feel guilty and/or cheat on my diet when I go there. Brown rice is in my diet but white rice is not. I wish more rice-y restaurants would offer brown rice. Thank you, B-Man's!

On previous visits I have had the Avocado & Sprouts Sandwich. It rivals their teriyaki, it is so good. And I'm a self-proclaimed carnivore! Even a meat eater like myself cannot resist crispy fresh produce on a soft french roll. Try it and don't hold the onions.

The prices at B-Man's could be lower. That is my only little complaint. It's not a big enough gripe that I won't go back. I've been back again and again. But I keep ordering the same thing! When I find a good thing I stick to it. I haven't even scratched the surface at B-Man's!

2 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

There is a B-Man's over here by where I work. It was pretty expensive but the food WAS good. :P

Sarah Jane said...

I totally agree.